Walking the Narrow Path
The Story this Week:
The Discipline of Service, 1 Chronicles 17, 22
Moral of the Story: The only way to have a healthy community is for everyone to serve within that community.
- Have you ever experienced a failure that turned out to be beneficial because of how others responded to you?
- Tell the group of a time when you felt a specific call from God about an act of service. How did it turn out?
- Have you ever been a part of a team or a community in which you felt a deep connection?
Question the Message
- What stood out to you from this week's message?
- Read 1 Chronicles 17:7-10. What stands out to you about God's promises to David? Why?
- Discuss this quotation from Dietrich Bonhoeffer, “Christianity means community through Jesus Christ and in Jesus Christ. No Christian community is more or less than this. Whether it be a brief, single encounter or the daily fellowship of years, Christian community is only this. We belong to one another only through and in Jesus Christ.”
READ Hebrews 8:6-13
- What was wrong with the old covenant?
- The new covenant has been established by Jesus. How does the new covenant transform service from duty into desire?
READ Ephesians 2:11-22
- How do communities stay together?
- What is significant about Paul's comment that Jews and Gentiles can be in community? Why is it possible now when it wasn't before Jesus?
- What are some practical ways that you can begin to show unity in the church or in your fellowship?
© 2013 First Baptist Church, Victoria BC